Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Laughter

We have been studying the book of Genesis in our Bible study class at church. And we have just crossed over from Abram to Abraham. There have been several instances of "laughing" or "laughter" that have caught my attention. Most of it revolves around Sarah and her response to hearing that she will bear a child. Or it revolves around her joy at the birth of Isaac as she acknowledges that it was God who brought forth this laughter.

Now the Lord was gracious to Sarah as he had said, and the Lord did for Sarah what he had promised. Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the very time God had promised him. Abraham gave the name Isaac to the son Sarah bore him. When his son Isaac was eight days old, Abraham circumcised him, as God commanded him. Abraham was a hundred years old when his son Isaac was born to him. Sarah said, “God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me.” And she added, “Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age.”
Genesis 21:1-7 NIV

I am not sure exactly what I think about this passage. But I think that God is amazing in that He turned what was a gentle rebuke at Sarah's (and probably Abraham's as well) disbelief into an occasion for joy for the present time and for years to come.

Isn't that just like our God?

7 comments:

  1. I was just reading about this, this morning,

    and I like it, cause it still gives me hope, that God will give me a child at my age :)


    hope you and your family, are well.
    blessigns

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:06 PM

    Laughter as a sign of joy is wonderful. I heard Joe Gautier say something this week at assembly that was good. "If we are going to be accused of anything, let's be accused of spreading joy through the gospel".

    I think this is what God did with Sarah and Abraham (with the "H's" now"). He spread joy to them and it was returned to Him in Joyous laughter. I think in this way, it was a sign of praise to Him. I know God has done some things in my life where the only thing I could do in return was laugh in joy at His wonderous ways. It's a joy from being pulled up from our own mess by someone who loves us. His hand is always present, and for that I smile in joy.

    Blessings
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janice,

    Thanks for stopping by the blog. All is well here. I trust the same is true for you.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott,

    It would be interesting to look at the usage of words like "joy", "laugh" and their derivations in the Bible.

    Great Bible Study this morning wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:38 PM

    There are so many studies that I want to do....especially concerning words. Like the differences in the words "Righteous" "Holiness" and "Sanctified". Time seems to limit my studies though.....lol

    Study was great yesterday, even with someone shooting rubber bands at me, HAH! The one thing that alwasy bothered me about Lot though.....just how muc wine did he drink to where he didn't realize what was going on???

    blessings
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would have to be a very large quantity of wine! I don't think I can imagine being so drunk as to not know that had happened (twice!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:58 PM

    I guess Lot did not read the COTN manual yet, lol

    ReplyDelete