Sunday, April 06, 2008

Passing of Time

Is it just me, or was it just a few weeks ago that we celebrated our Lord's birth? And then last week was the glorious celebration of His resurrection. Right?

Time is flying by! I can't believe it sometimes. Perhaps the the reason that the passing of time is on my mind is that this week-end was my birthday. Well, actually it was the 46th anniversary of my one and only "birth" day. but you get the point.

My firstborn is almost 23 years old. My youngest is 20. How did that happen?

I don't know for sure why this birthday has me being a little reflective. But it does. And this passage is on my mind:


“Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered, and that my life is fleeing away. My life is no longer than the width of my hand. An entire lifetime is just a moment to You; human existence is but a breath.” We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth for someone else to spend. And so, Lord, where do I put my hope? My only hope is in You.
Psalm 39:4-7

Maybe all of this reflection is a byproduct of the Spiritual Journaling that I am doing as part of some accountability activities that I am doing for my best friend Dave. [By the way, Dave, how are you doing on your journaling?]

But this I know. I am only here for a short time. And I am focused on the only things that I can really have any influence on. And that is my Spiritual legacy.

How will my kids remember me in another 46 or 47 years? What will they tell their children about me? Will it have had an eternal impact? What will they say about “Dad”? What will they say about “Grandpa”?

I know what I want them to say. I want them to be able to say that I was a man of God. A man who honored Him in all he did. A man that was an attractive example to his children of what it meant to be a Christian.

So back to the passage above. It reminds me that a lifespan is short and fleeting. And it reminds me to put my hope in the Lord. So that is what I am doing. I am keeping my hope in the Lord.

So what about you? I don't know when your birthday is. And I don't know how old you are. But I can tell you that time is zipping by for all of us and I want to encourage you to put your hope in the Lord. Or, keep your hope in the Lord.

And whenever your birthday is... “Happy Birthday!”


1 comment:

  1. Great points! I have those same type of thoughts and my children are 5 and 8. Time passes so quickly.

    I too want my life to make a difference for Jesus!

    ReplyDelete