Thursday, January 07, 2010

You Are Never Too Old

I am in the process of reading through the Bible this year in a chronological order. I have never read through the Bible from the beginning of the “story” to the end.  I just started on January 2nd, so I am still in Genesis as you might imagine.

Yesterday's reading had a passage that struck me and made me look at it from the perspective of age and opportunity. Here is the passage:
When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am God Almighty; walk before me and be blameless.”
Genesis 17:1 NIV

Here is the age perspective. Abraham was 99 years old. I know they lived longer in those days. But Abram was still well advanced in age.

And here is the opportunity perspective. Abram was given a command that seems hard to comply with. But he was given the opportunity to obey through the power of the Almighty God. First, God told Abram who He is. God referred to Himself as El Shaddai. He revealed His Person and character to Abram as the One who is ALL sufficient.

God goes on to tell Abram what was expected of him. You and I can only do what God expects of us when we know who He is and only when we know that in a full, intimate, personal, and real way.

The word blameless literally means “whole.” God wanted all of Abram. He wanted a total commitment. God wants the same thing of you and me. So, as we still are in the opening days of this new year, consider offering yourself completely to the One who is All Sufficient.

It is never too late.

And you are never too old!

Photo licensed under the following terms: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/

1 comment:

  1. Very encouraging! Sometimes I am discouraged, feeling like I have frittered away years of my life. But if Abraham can be recalled to holiness at 99 years, then it is certainly not to late for me at 32!

    I'm looking forward to reading more reflections from you. Very interesting that you and I are both working on a through the Bible project this year!

    ReplyDelete