Friday, May 22, 2009

Building Your Faith - Part 1 - Read Your Bible

I recently completed a bit of writing for a project for my local church. It has provided a great deal of material for me to blog about. Hopefully, I will be a little more productive in the coming days. Today, I present part 1 on the topic of "building your faith".

How do I build my faith?

Is faith like a muscle that I need to exercise?
or
Is faith something that is given to me like a gift?

I think the answer is "Yes" and "Yes!"

During the class that I was leading last Sunday, I asked how many of them would be willing to put all of their trust in someone whom they had never met or had little knowledge of?

Many of them stared at me with a puzzled expression. (OK, so that part is not so unusual)

Finally after a span of silence someone indicated that they could never trust someone that they didn't know. Well, the exact same thing is true of God. Why on earth would you ever trust a God you do not know? To know God is to know His Word, the Bible. Reading your Bible is an excellent way to build your faith in God; learning all about the wonderful promises he has in store for your life.

The Bible is many things. It is the story of God as shown by how He has related to mankind from man's first breath. It is both historical and personal. It is tells stories. And it contains God's words to me.

Are you looking to build your faith?

Start by getting to know the object of your faith -- God. And get to know Him through the reading and understanding of His Word, the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment